You might be wondering, what is Ujjayi pranayama?
If you are following me for a long time, you might be aware that the articles I post are mostly related to mindfulness, the law of attraction, subconscious stuff, etc.
After a bit of research, I came to know that breathing affects your energy levels. The way you breathe also decides how much energy you are carrying; on what energy level you are vibrating.
In short, if you learn to use your breath properly, things like positive energy, mental peace may drastically increase!
Pranayama is a best way to tap into your inner energy with the power of your own breathing. There many types of pranayamas. But, here I will specifically discuss about Ujjayi Pranayama, it’s how-to, the benefits, precautions, and everything!
What Is Ujjayi Pranayama?
Ujjayi Pranayama is a part of the Ashtanga and Vinyasa yoga practices which was used by ancient Indian yogis.
The word “Ujjayi Pranayama” is derived from the Sanskrit prefix “ud” and “Ji” “ujji” , aka, Ujjayi, which means “Victory”.
Thus, Ujjayi Pranayama also means “Victorious Breath” or conquer. When you do it regularly, it warms the body and cools down the mind.
Ujjayi Pranayama also gives you freedom from the bondage. Ujjayi pranayama involves deep inhalation from both nostrils. And simultaneously with a half-closed glottis.
Ujjayi Pranayama is also part of the eight Kumbhakas of Hathayoga. This pranayama is also known as “ocean’s breath” as the sound at the time of breathing is similar to that of the ocean’s sound.
How To Do Ujjayi Pranayama? A Step By Step Guide
- Be Relaxed and Seated in a Comfy place.
- Gently close your eyes and relax your mouth and jawline.
- Practice heavy flashes on inhalations and exhalations.
- Feel the air passing via your end pipe as you practice the process.
- Throughout exhalation, try to gently utter the sound “Ahh” out of your mouth.
- Once you become familiar with the exhalations, then maintain a contraction in the back of your neck on inhalation.
- If you get familiar with this practice, utilize just the nose to get breathing, and keeping your mouth closed and keeping up a contract.
- Focus on the sound of your breath, which ought to be audible by now.
- It is possible to start that pranayama for 5 minutes at the start and increase the period of time about 15 minutes after you become knowledgeable concerning the installation.
Ujjayi Pranayama: The Other Technique
- Inhale slowly and deeply through the nostril and keep the breath in with complete consciousness provided that simply attainable.
- This may be known as Antar kumbhaka (inner retention).
- After it, exhale softly and deeply with complete awareness.
- When the whole exhalation, maintain the breath outdoors to have an extremely comfy quantity of your own time.
- This can be Bahya kumbhaka (external retention).
- Before, obtaining any breed, begin inhalation after more.
- Recall, don’t take any strain if behaving kumbhaka (retention), either a couple of seconds is decent originally.
- Step by step increasing the duration because the technique is ideal.
- This is 1 round of Ujjayi pranayama with retention observe its own twelve rounds initially and incrementally raise it to ten minutes.
Benefits Of Ujjayi Pranayama
- Ujjayi Pranayama Helps rectify fluid retention in the body.
- This pranayama helps you to practice focus and concentration in your daily life. As a result, you are less likely to make mistakes in your daily work as you will be more aware and focused on yourself and your surroundings.
- It also helps to increase blood circulation throughout the body.
- This pranayama clears phlegm & increases appetite.
- You can bring positive changes and experiences to your physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual wellbeing.
- Ujjayi Pranayama helps the body to get rid of toxins.
- It also helps in the enrichment of your voice.
Practice daily, 5 rounds/session with pause in-between rounds. Begin with a count of 3 seconds inhalation and 6 seconds retention. Slowly, increase it by 1 sec/every week. Exercise without strain to a count according to individual comfort
Limitations / Contradictions
Ujjayi Pranayama is not recommended for people who are suffering from serious cardiac and hypertension cases. It can also be practiced without the retention of breath.
Best Time To Do Ujjayi Pranayama
- Early in the morning before sunrise or in the evening.
- Best done before Bahya or Anulom Vilom Pranayama and after meditation or Kapalbhati pranayama.
- If you are doing it in the evening, practice 5-6 hours of your meal.
- Do it daily for a minimum of 3-5 times.
- Refrain from practicing Ujjayi if you are a patient of Hypertension.
- If you feel a headache, immediately stop the process and start breathing normally.
- Do not do it forcefully under any circumstances.
- Keep the duration of Ujjayi short, if you are a beginner.
- While practicing, it is normal to feel a little warmth in the back of your throat.
- Do it with an empty stomach or 4-5 hours after the meal.
Physiological Importance Of Ujjayi Pranayama
Breathing through the nose humidifies the indrawn atmosphere, tempers it and eliminates mud particles. Exploitation Ujjayi Pranayama lets you breathe fresh air.
Mud particles will probably be a long way in the lungs in this method. During conventional respiratory, the strain on the bronchi during exhalation is kind of modesty.
Ujjayi Pranayama keeps constant pressure within the bronchi, also through the exhalation.
This heightens the slumping of the smaller bronchi, permitting the exhalation to be more bloated in addition to the amount of residual atmosphere within the lungs to become diminished.
This respiratory method is very helpful for those who suffer from chronic hindering respiratory tract disorders or esophageal cancer.
So that was everything about Ujjayi Pranayama! Just try it and let me know your experience in the comments section. I would like to hear it!
Searching for a best and affordable yoga mat? Here you go!
Also, don’t forget to reprogramme your subconscious mind tonight using these 6 Easy Reprogramming Methods!
Also, don’t forget to check out these 10 Powerful Secret Mantras that will enhance your meditative state!
10 Highly Recommended Spiritual Products At Best Price!
- Best Portable Meditation Chair (Travel Version)
- My Favourite Vipassana Chair
- Best Meditation Set
- Best Yoga Set
- Best Yoga Pants
- Best Meditation Set
- Best Yoga Mat
- Best Tibetian Bowl For Meditation/Mindfulness
- Premium Healing Crystals: 7 Chakras Set
- Best Evil Eye Protection Bracelet
Refresh the page to subscribe to our mailing list and never miss out on our daily updates!